Dec 1, 2009

Project 5 Progress

Anyone can recognize a Crayola package from a mile away. The signature colors, for as long as the Crayola brand has been around, are yellow (gold?) and green. That is the first thing I'm doing away with for my package re-designing. Here are some examples of Crayola through the years:


090904_fg10     
hij33
crayons



I came up with many different sketches as far as the visual design of the outer packaging. My favorite idea so far is to create a white package with literal splashes of color all over. I love the yellow "swoosh" beneath the logo, as it is reminiscent of a smile, which Crayola has previously alluded to in their crayon packaging. (You can see this in my previous blog post for this project.) Here is my concept:


packagesplatters



As far as the physical 3D design of the package, I am still somewhat undecided. My initial sketches were of a box in the shape of a sort of lunchbox with a handle. I'm still leaning towards the box-with-a-handle idea, as traditional Crayola crayon packages tend to stay along the lines of simple, rectangular boxes. Another idea I had was to create a cylindrical package with a string or handle on top. Whichever design I decide to use, I also want to incorporate the "built-in sharpener" that Crayola often includes in its crayon packaging. I found a template for a box with a handle that I could alter to fit my needs:

boxwithhandle

Here is an example of what I'm thinking of doing if I were to go with the cylinder box:
cylinderwstring

No comments:

Post a Comment