Dec 4, 2009

Packaging Template

After a bit of deliberation, I decided to go with the "box with a handle." I was initially going to alter the template I posted earlier, which I found in Paige's packaging book, but a trip to Sam Flax a few nights ago proved to be very fortuitous, as I came across the perfect box to use as a template. It was already die-cut and ready for assembly. I flattened it out completely and made a composite sketch based on the box from Sam Flax as well as the Crayola 64 count box (in order to make the space for the sharpener). I then worked from the sketch I made and created a template in Illustrator. Luckily enough, the crayons in the larger boxes come in these "trays" that you can pull out of the box, so I think that I will be able to just use those trays and place them in the new box without much hassle of them moving around since the box is going to be pretty small, but just big enough to accommodate them.

Here is the initial sketch:

TemplateSketch


This is the Illustrator template. I'm sure I will have to tweak it once I actually print it out and attempt to assemble it, but this is basically finished:

MYTEMPLATE

Now I need to put the finishing touches on the outer design, which is the most important part! XD I want to do something special with it, as I'm thinking of packaging it as the "125th Anniversary Box." The Binney & Smith company (who founded the Crayola brand) was established in 1885. That's a long time! Maybe I could include a special "gift" or something inside, but I'm not sure what. I am also thinking of having a pattern of some sort on the inside of the box so that it's not just plain white. Maybe even re-design the crayon wrappers? That would take a long time though, which I'm running low on right now, so we'll see.

Some ideas for special "gift" inside:
Mini coloring book (include facts & history of Crayola)
Color-able sticker book
Coloring book of paper dolls
New color(s)
Fold-out coloring poster

2 comments:

  1. You should totally do the crayon wrappers. Mostly so you can suffer with me as I assemble little coffee packets. Can't wait to see your product on tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I don't know if I will have the time!! XD

    ReplyDelete