Feb 2, 2011

Climate Direct Mailer: Research

These are some links I found regarding weather/climate change, in connection with our next project:

EPA website on climate change

MSNBC article: "Despite East Coast freeze, global warming is for real"

I also wanted to do a little research into the natural changes that the planet Earth has gone through over time, and it seems that over the supposed millions (or billions?) of years that the Earth has existed it has seen several diverse, and often catastrophic, changes in climate/atmosphere. So could it be that humans, being of this earth for only a short span, are unfamiliar with these "drastic" changes in the climate and see it as a cause for alarm, when all along it is a natural step in Earth's progression? Yes, we are emitting toxic fumes & chemicals that cause harm to the immediate environment and maybe this is also accelerating the changes we are seeing, but I think it's all inevitable in the end. I was reading through the geological time scale on this website, and one thing that struck me as peculiar is that in the Archean eon, "The reducing (anaerobic) atmosphere enabled archea (anaerobic microbes) to develop...During this era, one type of organism, the Cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) produced oxygen as a metabolic by-product; the eventual build-up of this highly reactive gas was to eventually prove fatal to many life-forms, and converted the atmosphere from." This sounds strangely similar to what is going on now, although I realize the byproducts we are creating aren't necessarily occurring naturally. Somehow I still see a connection there.

Maybe I'm getting too theoretical about this. :P I don't know all that much about the topic, but this is my initial take on the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment